I’ve been trying to use the UN World Heritage Site list (Website Here) as a rough guide of the sites to see when I’m visiting different countries. It’s not as easy at it sounds and pretty much requires a map of the sites and lots of cross referencing to make sure I’m not missing any.
The UN World Heritage sites are places that are deemed to have special cultural or physical significance. For the most part, the list corresponds with places that I already was planning on seeing. I counted and from the list, it looks like we are going to get to cross 20 sites off our list on our honeymoon in September! Pretty exciting since I’ve only checked 7 off the list so far!!!
UN World Heritage Sites on our Trip:
- Giant’s Causeway and Causeway Coast- Northern Ireland
- Stonehenge, Avebury and Associated Sites- United Kingdom
- Palace of Westminster and Westminster Abbey -United Kingdom
- Tower of London- United Kingdom
- Maritime Greenwich- United Kingdom
- Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew – United Kingdom
- City of Bath- United Kingdom
- Palace and Park of Versailles – France
- Acropolis, Athens- Greece
- Ephesus- Turkey
- Medieval City of Rhodes- Greece
- City of Valletta- Malta
- Megalithic Temples of Malta- Malta
- Mount Etna- Italy
- Historic Centre of Rome- Italy
- Piazza del Duomo, Pisa- Italy
- Historic Centre of Naples- Italy
- Archaeological Areas of Pompei, Herculaneum and Torre Annunziata- Italy
- Works of Antoni Gaudí- Spain
- Palau de la Música Catalana and Hospital de Sant Pau, Barcelona – Spain
Am I missing any that we’re going to be close by?